Principal Engineer &ndash Electronics
This role leads an engineering development project, responsible for technical and process compliance, recurring and non-recurring costs, adherence to agreed program and project milestones.
- Managing the efforts of a team of engineers across hardware, software, firmware, mechanical and HSIT
functions as appropriate to the program to deliver customer expectations.
- Interfacing with other functions (EMC, environmental and functional test teams, for example. This is not an
exhaustive list and may include external service suppliers.)
- Interfacing with customer on technical performance and program compliance issues.
- Delivering on engineering milestones.
- Processing permits/concessions and ECRs as appropriate to the project.
- Other peripheral project aspects and ad hoc tasks within the individuals capabilities, as defined from time to
- Project milestones achieved within given timescales.
- A key part of the Design Assurance process, this role is responsible for the technical integrity of products,
systems or subsystems on a program.
- Accountable for technical quality of engineering across all engineering disciplines and covering the entire
product development process.
- Responsible for ensuring that the PIP process is followed
- Responsible for achieving performance, reliability and safety requirements and product cost requirements
- Where applicable, responsible for monitoring the implementation of partner/sub-contractor Design Assurance processes within the program. However, all matters relating to airworthiness are subject to independent checking and approval through the Office of Airworthiness
- Manages the engineering team(s) to ensure that their tasks are completed on time and that all engineering objectives are achieved
- Responsible for creating a Technical Plan, made up of all tasks required to carry out the PIP process and deliver the PIP deliverables. The Technical Plan must deliver the project objectives and will determine how much time is available for the various tasks as well as their linking to each other and to program objectives
- Represent the company in front of customers as the technical point of contact
- Ensure tasks and timescales are realistic and bought into by his/her team and support the business
Additional description Responsible for engineering resource expended on the project, meeting agreed budget levels
- Accountable for the technical risk management within the project and ensures the technical plan is updated
to mitigate risks as they arise
- Ensure Internal Design Reviews and Design Assurance reviews are planned and held
- Ensure that sufficient evidence is available to support the reviews
- Ensure that the deliverable documents are produced in accordance with the PIP process and are available at
the time of the review
- Ensure an independent member of the Office of Airworthiness is present as Design Assurance Reviews
- Ensure that an independent peer reviewer is available at Internal Design Reviews
- Rigorously ensure the team follows the PIP process to ensure:
- Airworthiness responsibilities
- System and Product Requirements
- Design Assurance deliverables
- Maintain a record of the technical progress against PIP objectives through the Design Assurance Logbook
- Ensure the qualification plan is sufficient to demonstrate compliance to the requirements
- Ensure that product cost is considered as a key design monitor
- Take note of Lessons Learnt for previous programmes
- Ensure that the appropriate reviews occur at the correct time
- Manager any Work Package Owners
- Produce an engineering resource plan and request resource from resource owners to enable the Technical
Plan tasks to be completed
Candidate skills & requirements
- A Degree in a related discipline or equivalent experience / combined education
- Electronics Hardware design experience, preferably in the aerospace or similar formal, safety critical
- Expert level of awareness of PIP procedures & WIs
- Understanding of product development process including the interfaces between Engineering disciplines,
and between Engineering and other teams such as Test Equipment, Operations, Business Development, etc.
- Able to structure documentation to clearly demonstrate compliance
- Understand Airworthiness requirements
- Planning & risk mitigation
- Delegation & supervision
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Excellent customer facing skills
- Understanding of product design and development costs (NRCs)
- Product cost champion (RCs)
- Ability to directly and honestly interface with people having a variety of characters (introvert and extrovert).
- Familiarity with common aerospace engineering standards eg DO-160, DO-254 etc
- Familiarity with the capability of engineering software tools &ndash simulators, PCB/schematic capture.
- Competent with IT/IS tools &ndash MS Office, QMS, Cimage, etc
- Comfortable with presenting to a large audience, whether seniors or customers.
- Capable of reflecting business requirements into personal contributions.
- Able to support and assist more junior team members to develop their skillset.
- Self starter.
- Ability to take criticism and turn it into positive action.